Thursday, January 23, 2014

Women Living Well Book Club--Week 2

In chapter 4 of Women Living Well, Courtney discusses the effect the media has had on society and ultimately our walks with God. Just a few years ago, it was more common to only have a home phone cord attaching it to the wall. Growing up we had a rotary phone hanging on the wall in our kitchen. I clearly remember when my mother purchased a cord so long, my sister could take the receiver from the kitchen through the living room and down the hall to her bedroom. I'm sure when she got in there she had to sit right inside the door on the floor because that cord was stretched to the max at that point. There was no hiding that she was on the phone talking with someone. Today, it's so easy to hide how much time we are spending on the phone, texting, or private messaging people because with not just cell phones, but smart phones that literally puts the world at our finger tips, we can hide so much. We can claim to be living for God but really we're just wasting our time on nonsense.

We also can get caught up in social media through our phones and computers. I have found myself spending so much time on Facebook scrolling through endless status updates and chatting with friends many times about nothing. I'm not so big into other avenues such as Twitter and Instagram. I have accounts but don't use them all that often. But I do get lost in Pinterest on occasion looking at home decor and recipes for food. I also read homeschool forums every day. I call it preparing for the days when my daughter is old enough, but really it's just idle time that could be spent doing more important things.

This week I started a new bible study through Good Morning Girls called Intentionally Focused. So far this week I have realized that I need to be a true imitator of God by studying His Word and praying so that I can know who Jesus is and His will. Then I can be an imitator and shine His light for others to see. I also need to realize my days on this earth are short and I do not know how long I have so I need to be diligent and cautious with the things I do so that I do not waste time. Ephesians 5:15-16 say, "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (NKJV) Circumspectly means to be diligent, perfect, careful, cautious. Redeeming means to buy up, improve opportunity. I need to be cautious with my time and redeem or improve my opportunity to live better, more intentionally focused on Jesus. I want to be like the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31:27-29 "She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.'" (NKJV) I can only be a blessing to my family and be praised if I watch over my household properly. To do this I need to be wise with my time and not allow idle moments to steal my focus. These days are short and I have a purpose to fulfill. I am determined in 2014 to be disciplined and live my life as if each day is my last by keeping my eyes intentionally focused on Jesus so that I can be an imitator of Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment